Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Book Fairies and Card Classes



 I received this in the mail today from a friend who teaches Kindergarteners. Many of the kids in her class come from lower income families where extras aren't possible.  My friend asked friends from Facebook if they'd want to become a book fairy and donate $9 for kids to get a book each month from Scholastic books.  Scholastic Books offers $1 books so kids like this can have books in the home and teachers can begin to develop the love of books and reading. The kids were amazed that they received a book that was theirs and they could keep it.

Can you imagine your world without books? I couldn't. I have 4 books on my shelf waiting to be read! As a kid, we always had books around.  I became a Reading Teacher because I wanted kids to enjoy reading. I wanted to make it easier for them to love books.

Love this picture of a child with his own book.
 I got tears in my eyes reading the comments that kids made when they received their books. Something we may take for granted is loved and hugged.

This is one of the projects we made in my class this week. When you open the card, you see a box that holds hot chocolate.  The foam is our new snow puff paint. You put it on the card and heat it. It puffs up to look like foam or snow. It was fun to hear the ladies squeal when the foam started to form!

This is the 3-D item we made, which is a purse that can contain cards and envelopes or anything for gift giving.  This is card a bag in a box. It was much easier than it looks.


 This is another card made with Gather Together stamps and dies. The paper is copper. I love how the copper paper looks when it is embossed. The sentiment is heat embossed with copper as well. The idea was that card fronts don't have to be whole pieces of cardstock. The gold pieces are 1" by 5 1/4". The designer paper is 2" by 5 1/4" then the light blue paper. So the paper on the front of the card was layered.

 This was a favorite. We masked the moon, then stamped off two times then stamped the row of trees. We used the silver thread and silver paper behind the image . The card base was sponged to make it look like night.

Sunday, our featured challenge was Diana. Here is her card that way my inspiration for my card.

I kept the stamp set the same and kept some of the elements the same. I like how it turned out.  There's nothing like navy and silver.

Yesterday a friend came to dinner, then helped me with some of the card prep for class today. She was a huge help to me.
First she made her cards for class, then she helped me make some of one of the cards. I misjudged how long it would take to make the card in class.  As it was, we finished 3 of the 4 projects for class.
So I owe each group of ladies, one extra project next class.

These ladies were just wonderful and understanding. I felt horrible but they reassured me that it was okay and they loved the projects. They would  be worth the wait.  Thank you God for such wonderful friends.

Verse of the Day: Matthew 7:1
You know, it seems that these days people believe that if you don't agree with them, you've judged them and hate them.  When did it become not okay to disagree with people? This generation has really changed a lot of things in our lives, and it's not good at all.

I read that one of the Democratic candidates for President said, If he's elected, he will take away the tax-exempt status to all churches who don't believe in gay marriage. Wow, what happened to Freedom of religion? You know, The constitution of the United States, the document we established early on in our independence from England.  This is scary to me that a minority can whip up a frenzy on issues that they hold dear.  God is on His throne, and I'm so thankful He is.
Image result for Matthew 7:1

Wow, what an anthem for believing in Christ! Check out this song and its powerful words. I need to put this to memory to help me fight during the tough times. Thank you Emily.


Blessing of the Day: I heard from Ben, he's been sick with the flu the last week.  We'll see him tomorrow after he drops Zoey off at daycare. It's been a while since we've seen him. I'm so happy he checks in now and then so we know how he's doing. The other 2 kids don't do that.

Tim got some more things done on the bathroom.

Tim and I got to watch the Yankees go down to defeat tonight in the playoffs!

Thank you for stopping by to visit.
Blessings,

No comments:

The Simple Woman's Daybook April 9, 2024

 For Today April 9, 2024 The Simple Woman's Daybook began here . Looking out my window it is now dark but has been a beautiful day! The...