Monday, January 25, 2021

Where In The City of Cleveland Are We?

 

Where in the City of Cleveland Are We?

Here is an icon that has been in Cleveland since July 4, 1864.

It is a major Civil War Monument here in Cleveland.

It honors more than 9,000 individuals from Cuyahoga County who served in the Union throughout the War.

Do you know where this monument is located? Do you know it's name? Think, Think, Think. If you grew up in Cleveland, it should be familiar to you.


When I first saw this monument, I was a small child. I marveled at its very size. I tried to wrap my head around a time I had never heard about in my short life. It was HUGE and overwhelming in size. As a young child, I marveled at the items I could see and the number of steps there were.

I saw this monument as a young adult and still marveled at its size and detail. I stared at the brick and statues. I was proud that a monument such as this was in my city. I was proud that the individuals who fought for our freedom, were remembered. It's important to do that.

Do you know its name and location?

Recently I found out that a new friend had passed away. She had told me the chemo she was on was affecting her liver. She had to go off the chemo. There wasn't anything else that would keep the cancer at bay, and she passed away in December, before Christmas.

Her husband wrote to me to let me know she was gone. Covid and her compromised immune system meant she couldn't go out any where. So I would take stamp related things to her. She lived on a street that I travel to go to the grocery store.

What impressed me about her was, her first cardmaking class with me, she brought a small, handmade gift for each lady who was there. Everyone was amazed and impressed.  

I sell Stampin' Up stamping products. I started to do this as a ministry to make cards and donate them to my church. It grew so it became a church ministry where other women helped make the cards which were used for all sorts of occasions. I wanted to support the ministry myself through sales of stamps and paper.

This has continued to be a ministry for me. I've moved from running it at church, to holding classes in my home, or now, on ZOOM. I have gained so many wonderful friends this way. We all minister to each other. It's amazing how much you get when you give from the heart.

Back to her husband...He wrote that his wife loved stamp classes and wanted to be as creative as me. She'd smile every time something came from me.  He said she received such comfort from the cards I sent. For that, he was grateful.

You know, it hit me right then and there. With all the madness that's going on in the world, it comes down to loving your neighbor as yourself. God calls us to do this. It's the easiest thing in the world to do. Care for others, do for others, love on others, help others, be with others. We all know how to do this. We've done it for years. Kids do it all the time. Look at their unconditional love for those around them. We need to be more like them.

Showing friendship and kindness and taking the time to be with each other, makes a huge difference in our lives. When you give of yourself, you receive so much more in return.

God, I thank you for using me through my stamping ministry to touch this friend's life.




Here is my inspiration.


I turned the card vertical instead of horizontal. I used pink and red, added a bow and had designer series paper to the left of the image. I had a sentiment about love. The stamps were different. I used hearts as my frames for my image. I added ribbon down the side of the card instead of just a bow. I tied the balloon to the chicken's tail then wrapped the other end around her wing. I love how versatile this set is.


This next card was for today's, Clean and Simple Challenge where we needed to use bugs.
I needed a sympathy card and this challenge was perfect for that. I decided to stamp the dragonfly in memento tuxedo black ink, then color it with my Zig colors. I added clear wink of stella to the wings.I outlined the dragonfly with silver marker. I stamped dots and spots onto my paper in the two colors I used for the dragonfly. I stamped with gorgeous grape on the polka dot paper then used the darling label punch. The sentiment was added with dimensionals.

Verse of the Day: James 2:1


Check out this amazing new song by Matthew West.

Have you guessed the name and location of the monument above?
It's the Soldier's and Sailor's Monument and it is locate on Public Square right in downtown Cleveland.

Blessing of the Day: Today I spent time talking with a dear friend who'd been hospitalized. I worked on Valentine Cards, I attended church (on TV) with Tim, got some cleaning done and organized my desk area in my studio.

Thanks for Stopping by.
Blessings,
Bensarmom




No comments:

Beautiful Paper Does The Work

 Splitcoaststampers is a great website for people who make cards or scrapbook. They have daily challenges. This is one of the challenges. Gi...