Friday, August 2, 2024

The Simple Woman's Daybook for August 2, 2024

 The Simple Woman's Daybook for August 2, 2024

Looking out my window it's dark and starting to cool off. It has been muggy and rainy all day. It has been cold inside because Tim like the air conditioning on cooler than I do. So during the summer I'm wearing long sleeve shirts and jeans in the house.

I am thinking that I am lucky that Tim can make just about anything. Here's what he made for our screened in porch. It's a water feature. We had a store bought fountain when we first screened in the porch but it only lasted a few seasons. So, Tim had it in his mind to make one when he could.


I am thankful that God is in control. My one year old great-niece will have a CAT scan tomorrow on her brain to determine what is pinched between the plates, tissue or brain matter. Surgery to repair will come at a later date once they determine what it is.

What a scary thing for anyone to go through. My sister had the most beautiful prayer she sent them on our group text.

Standing with you all and praying for the Lord's peace over you as you wait for Wednesday. May God's hand be on your child, His presence felt by her parents, every person they see Wednesday and His guidance in all.  Prayers for that sweet baby and her family.

We got an update that there is a small cyst that will have to come out, but nothing as serious as they thought it would be. Praising God for that.

One of my favorite things is making lots of different types of cards and sending them to people I don't know.  

This first card is one that used folded squares to make the zig-zag pattern. The bee is on a wobble so it moves.


This second card was made for a Splitcoaststampers Challenge.  Our challenge today was to have layers on our card. First I stamped the mouse. Then I cut a mask to cover the mouse. I stamped the cactus around the mouse. I cut out some of the brown plants and layered them with small dimensionals. I used the Stampin' Write markers, so saffron and soft suede and dotted the ground to give it more texture and to have it look more like sand. I added dimension to the background with a cactus embossing folder. The sentiment was popped up with a dimensional to add a layer for the look.

This next card is for our local hospital. It's amazing to me that they put a card on each dinner tray for each patient. I used an old Catan's embossing folder with raindrops. It was perfect for this card. I also used Stampin' Up retired designer paper which made it look like the mouse was standing in a puddle. She was colored with Copic markers. She was fussy cut and added with dimensionals.



The next two cards are from a pattern from this FB group. I used the same colors as the sample but instead of making them squares, I made them diamonds. I liked the look that was a little bit different.

This grumpy rooster is called, Coffee-Doodle-Doo, from Unity Stamp Company. I loved his look the second I saw it. A friend owned the stamp and she let me stamp a few images to play with. I stamped on watermelon designer paper and cut out the mug for this guy. I had different watermelon paper to use with him. I also had a watermelon embossing folder. The look on his face and the sentiment made me giggle. I knew he would brighten other people's day when he arrived in the mail or on a dinner tray.
Here is my inspiration for my card. This is for another Splitcoaststampers challenge.
I stamped then used blending brushes and different scallops to form the clouds. I used torn paper to form the layers in the sand using so saffron ink. I used watercolor pencils to color the grasses, chair and umbrella. I used Wink of Stella on the water to make it glisten. I wanted to make a window so I die cut the image and balmy blue paper. I dry embossing the blue with seashells embossing folder. I added sentiment and small cut outs with dimensionals.






Our challenge was to think simplicity. This card was modeled after Patty Bennett's card found here.

This is a simple card to make using a 4" x 10 1/2" piece of designer series paper. Fold the designer series paper in half and on the top fold, push punch all the way in and center it right and left. Put a piece of white paper inside the card to cover the punched out hole, and add it to your 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" card base. I colored one of the ephemera flowers and added rhinestones. I used a small flower punch to add to the sentiment in the window.

I am creating another granny square afghan to be donated at the beginning of the new school year to a school where things like this are needed. I like to do this while watching TV especially Guardian's baseball games.


I am wearing a Cleveland Zoo T-shirt, jeans and rainbow colored Crocs.

I got a new fiction book to read that was written by the daughter of a former co-worker. I was so excited to read it until I saw it was about a girl coming out and her relationship with another woman. I was so disappointed. As a Christian, that type of reading doesn't bring me enjoyment. Back to the library it went with Tim this morning. SIGH.....

I am listening to a local Christian radio station. I like to hear what is current and what I like, I'll add to my Spotify collection.

I am learning how to catalog sports trading cards. My son has taken up this hobby and needed help inputting the cards into a database. It's been quite interesting as I never thought there could be so many different combinations of colors and designs for the same photo of a player.

I've also been looking at eBay to see what has sold and for how much. I've also looked up what people want for different cards that haven't yet sold.


In my kitchen all is quiet as little Mia isn't here today. Her daddy is sick and kept her home today with him. She had a virus earlier in the week and gave it to her mom then her dad. Love a family that shares! I remember those days.

In the school room I am continuing to learn lots. I've been researching ways to use vellum and different ways to make shaker cards. I know shaker cards aren't new but I'm seeing people use fun foam instead of raised sticky tape. That interest me for my personal use, however I don't want to invest in that much foam for my classes.

 

In my garden so much color and activity. Lots of bees and butterflies. We also have lots of strawberries which grow in the strawberry box protected from the small animals and deer. This hot weather has prompted many more strawberries to grow and ripen.

We enjoy many different birds which come in to feed on the suet and jelly we have out for them. 



Verse of the Day: Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, who seek Him with their whole heart. Psalms 119:2

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed your time here.
Blessings,
Bensarmom


 


No comments:

The Simple Woman's Daybook for August 2, 2024

 The Simple Woman's Daybook for August 2, 2024 Looking out my window it's dark and starting to cool off. It has been muggy and rainy...