Friday, September 11, 2026

We Will Never Forget

Just like the day that John F. Kennedy was assassinated, Everyone knows where they were when they heard that an airplane crashed into the World Trade Center 25 years ago.  I remember being at work and my students has a special and were out of the room at the time. We were told to turn our tv on so we would know what was going on.

I remember being so scared that I wanted to go get my kids and get them home safely as fast as I could. I called my husband and he said we were not in a major area that would be likely a target, so we would be okay.  Little did we know that a plane was going to come over Cleveland that had been hijacked. It turned around  over Cleveland and headed back toward Washington, D.C.

That was the flight where the passengers overtook the plane and it crashed in a field Pennsylvania instead of Washington D.C. 

I stayed at work and finished the day, but it was the hardest day to be at work. Did we tell our young students what had happened?  We were advised NOT to tell our students who were in Grade K and 1. They wouldn't understand anyway. If parents wanted them to know, they'd tell them.

As soon as students were dismissed, we were able to leave to get our kids. I was never so happy to get my kids and bring them home. My two kids were 6 and 4. We didn't say much to them about the planes. The 6 year old knew something happened because some of the grown-ups at school were crying and praying. He went to a Christian school at the time. My 4 year old was in preschool in another location. 

We spent the evening and days after watching the news for any bit of new information they had to report.

 A quarter century after the September 11, 2001 attacks, 100 million Americans are too young to remember the day that changed our city and nation forever. It is our shared promise — made 25 years ago — to never forget so those born after 9/11 learn its significance and enduring legacy. As we commemorate this anniversary, a new generation will learn about the unimaginable loss we experienced and the inspiring stories of bravery, compassion, unity, and service that we witnessed, and have rippled through the decades.




Tribute in Light, the two beams of light that evoke the memory of the Twin Towers, is a commemorative public art installation first displayed on the six-month anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Since then, Tribute in Light, presented in partnership with Con Edison, has appeared in the night sky each 9/11 to honor those killed and shine a light on the unbreakable spirit of New York. 


An extension of Tribute in Light supported by New York City Tourism + Conventions, Tribute in Lights provides a unique opportunity to pay tribute and increase public awareness of the anniversary. Buildings and landmarks throughout New York and across the country are invited to light their facades in blue from dusk to dawn on September 11.

There are so many videos out there about this day 25 years ago. I just finished watching two of them and I am reminded of the horrible events and feelings that day brought to all Americans. I pray that we'll never have to go through something like that again.

Blessings,

Sue

No comments:

We Will Never Forget

Just like the day that John F. Kennedy was assassinated, Everyone knows where they were when they heard that an airplane crashed into the Wo...