Friday, December 22, 2017

Memories


I saw this posted on FB and it reminded me of the tree my aunt and uncle had. They always had the newest items on the market. I was mesmerized with the changing colors from the wheel. 
I remember thinking it was cool, but I loved the multi-colored lights that we had; and of course the tinsel.  
Image result for christmas tree with tinsel
That brought to mind the bubble lights we had. I loved watching the bubbling bulbs. We had a strand or two of these lights when we were kids. It's funny how memories come forward at this time of year.
Sienna Multicolored C7 Bubble Light Replacement Christmas Bulbs, 3 Pack
I remember Christmas mornings where it was loud, happy, fun, and full of noise! With 7 kids opening presents and mom and dad, it was a beautiful time for our family.  I don't know how my parents managed to finance Christmas but they did. We didn't have name brand items but loved them just the same. We didn't have Barbie but had Tammy or whatever dolls they sold that were like Barbie.  We were happy kids and weren't raised with extravagant wishes. 

The highlight of pre-Christmas fun was when the Sears toy catalog came in the mail. Oh my that thing would be looked at constantly with dog-eared pages from all of us looking through it.
This is a picture of one such catalog  for sale on eBay for $150.00.  We never could have sold ours because it was so worn with all of us looking through it.
Picture 1 of 12
I remember all of us getting in the station wagon and taking my mom to downtown, Cleveland and dropping her off at May Company. My mom got out of the car and just walked away without looking back.  I cried thinking my dad was abandoning my mom in the city.  As we were driving home my dad explained that mom was shopping and we'd pick her up later. Whew, I was relieved. Not sure how old I was, but old enough not to understand until it was explained to me.
Image result for may company building cleveland
 Wow, what started off as a post about the silver tree with the color wheel sure did spiral into a few more stories. Happy times as a kid in the Porto household.

I thought this shirt was cute. You really can't STOP being a teacher. I loved my job of teaching. I hated my job of behavior plans, iep's, meetings and paperwork. I think that's why I like to volunteer to work with kids who need a little extra help.



Forgiveness. Something I  sometimes struggle with. Maybe you do too? But we need to remember to forgive, because God always forgives us. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9.

We also need to know that forgiveness isn't showing weakness. It's a real strength that is difficult for most of us. Forgiving is different than forgetting. You forgive to free yourself from the pain and suffering of the wrong that's been done to you.  That doesn't mean you have to forget what was done or continue a relationship with the person who wronged you.
Image result for 1 John 1:9

Check out this song by Casting Crowns. It is called, Loving My Jesus. It's a beautiful song which touched my heart so I wanted to share it.


What a nice walk down memory lane tonight.
Blessing of the Day: I finished shopping, got some cleaning done and got a nap too. Tim had a good day at work. I keep praying that he continues to be close to God no matter what type of day he has.

Thank you for stopping by.
Blessings,

No comments:

The Simple Woman's Daybook April 9, 2024

 For Today April 9, 2024 The Simple Woman's Daybook began here . Looking out my window it is now dark but has been a beautiful day! The...