Monday, May 6, 2019

The Simple Woman's Daybook for Monday, May 6, 2019


For Today, Monday May 6, 2019


It all started here.

Looking out my window it's a beautiful, sunshiny, Spring day. The trees are full of blossoms and the scents of Spring.




I am thinking that I have been so blessed by my kids, Tim and God.

I am thankful I attended worship yesterday. My son, Ben gave the sermon. It was such a great sermon because it spoke to my heart. He preached a whole different take on the prodigal son. Instead of retelling the story, he likened it to each of us. How, like the prodigal, we each leave the authority of God and the path He has us on. Satan lures us off that path with such cunning, that we're not aware of it until the Holy Spirit nudges us or someone else notices. He urged us each to look at what things take us away from quiet time with God. He used a cute illustration. He has a 3 year old foster daughter. She LOVES cake. She would eat it all day if she could. When she sees cake, she thinks of nothing else.
He said God is like us, the parent who knows she shouldn't just eat cake. She needs to eat broccoli as well to make her grow strong and healthy.
He said, We all have 'cake' in our life. It is those things that make have become idols for us. Those things that we love to have and be around.
However, we need to have that daily connection with God so we can continue to battle Satan, and grow strong in the Lord and have a healthy relationship with God.
I started to tear-up a bit. Not only because I knew it applied to me but because the son God, Tim and I raised, was preaching the Word of God in such a powerful way. Praising you God for your work in Benjamin!
I'll never look at cake and broccoli the same again. The illustration is so easy to bring to mind by just saying, 'cake' and 'broccoli.'  Thanks God and Benjamin!
Image result for cake   Image result for broccoli

One of my favorite things is quiet time with my Bible out on the back screened-in porch. This morning I saw how, the evil one, tried to distract me with the birds fighting and a loud, high-pitched sound in the distance. I recognized it and continued to read my Bible without irritation or stopping.
Image result for bible
I am creating scarves for those in need with yarn given to me by my friend, Jane. Jane gave me 3 big bags of yarn. She can't crochet anymore due to shoulder and neck pain when she does. I am very thankful for Jane and her friendship.


I am wearing pj's and a robe with socks. I spent my Bible time outside in my pj's and robe, then came in to work on my computer. PJ days are great!

I am listening to Jim Brickman on You Tube. Sometimes I just need some quiet piano music to listen to while I work.

Image result for jim brickman beautiful world
I am hoping to be motivated to make cards today. I've not made cards for a couple of days.
I was motivated! Here are some cards I've made. This card was made by looking at a quilted block. It was one square then squares cut in half to form the pattern.
 This was for a double challenge. One was to make a masculine thank you card. The other was to use powder watercolors. I didn't have those so I sprayed water on ink and dipped my card stock in it. I dried the paper then inked with a stencil. I also sprayed glimmer mist onto the stencil to brighten it a bit. I sponged over it with crumb cake ink to dull the shimmer a bit.
 Here is the inspiration for my card. This was for the Featured Stamper on SCS. I used her layout but changed the colors and used flowers instead of butterflies.



I am learning that my kids make a HUGE difference in my life. They've transitioned from 'kids' to 'friends'. I love it.  I saw Sarah yesterday for lunch at one of our favorite places. Moe's. She bought lunch for me. She's so happy to be able to make money enough to pay for lunch. I'm so proud of  her. She's working full time and sharing an apartment with a friend. It's wonderful to see her so independent!  She also gave me an early Mother's Day gift. She knows I love plants. Check out this Rattlesnake Prayer plant. Prayer plants close up at night. It's such a cool thing to see. It's not something you can sit and watch, but you look at it in the evening and can see it's closed a bit from day time.


In my kitchen all is quiet. Breakfast is over and lunch will begin soon. Chili was the last menu item. I love to make extra to freeze for other meals.


In the school room I continue to learn things. I learned so much from Ben's sermon yesterday. I also learned a new crochet pattern called, The Block Stitch Pattern. I practiced with a scarf and liked it. I adapted it for a second scarf.


In my garden, things are growing like crazy. My two roses are getting so much growth. Poppies and Lily of the Valley will pop open soon. Our crab apple trees are blooming and gorgeous. We have a white and a pink tree.
 


Verse of the Day: Galations 2:20
Image result for Galatians 2:20

A moment from my day: My Mother's Day Mug came today. I love mugs with photos of my kids when they were little. It brings such joy to me. I have several and told my kids I can use more. These mugs with coffee and my Bible reading first thing of the day bring me such JOY.

 I love sunflowers and these flags. This is at the end of  our walkway to the front door. You can see the white crab apple tree in the background.

Take a listen to Chris Tomlin as he sings, Our God is Greater.


Blessing of the Day: Spending time with God and enjoying the beautiful weather he's brought us today.

Thanks for stopping by.

Blessings,

No comments:

Pocket Front Card

 This was today's challenge on Splitcoaststampers, Ways To Use It Challenge. Sabrina challenged us to make pockets.  I used the tutorial...