Friday, July 22, 2011

I'm Almost Ready

Well here it is Friday and I've been working all day to have things ready for my Open House.  I'm praying that it is all God wants it to be and it will bring Him glory.  I'm also praying that the ladies will have fun and like the things they will make tomorrow.  it's hard to plan for something like this since everyone doesn't RSVP so you guess how many will come and prepare projects.

I have a couple of cards today.  The first one is for Tuesday's color challenge. Here is my card for today's color challenge using wild wasabi, pool party, and choc chip. Thanks Mary for a scrumpcious combo this week. I stamped on a top note using wasabi and pool party I cut a choc chip layer behind the image then layered it on pool party with dots embossed on it. For dessert I sponged choc chip. I added choc chip scallop ribbon and the text.
Here's my card for Wednesday's sketch challenge on Splitcoast. I had a stamped image from a friend and colored it with copics then used crystal effects on the flowers. The image was sponged with pretty in pink. I used paisley and petals dp and pretty in pink scalloped ribbon. Thanks Roxie for another great challenge.
Well it seems that the city of Parma, here in the Cleveland area, broke 100 degrees yesterday.  Cleveland tied it's record temperature at 97 degrees.  Seems like that's all anyone could talk about. 

By day the Lord directs his love, at night His song is with me Psalms 42:8

Here's one of the Christian songs I played over and over when it came out.  I was single and a co-leader in a Single's Bible Study and Singles Group.  The song is by Michael W. Smith, called Friends.
I've met so many people over the years.  I've had dear friends move in and out of my life.  It's always hard to see them leave.  But I am thrilled that through Stampin' Up and Card Ministry I've met so many wonderful ladies who love to stamp, talk, eat, and pray! 

Take a listen.  As you do, check out some info about Michael W. Smith.



Michael Whitaker Smith was born October 7, 1957 to Paul and Barbara Smith in Kenova, West Virginia. A sister named Kim would follow. Michael was a typical boy - active in baseball, his family's church activities, and playing piano. But in not-so-typical fashion, he wrote his first song at age five. At the age of ten, he made a decision to give his life to Christ. He dreamed of playing professional baseball.
Michael attended college at Marshall University in West Virginia but after one semester dropped out to move to Nashville and pursue a career in music. (side note trivia: In 1992 Michael received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Alderson-Broaddus College in Philippi, West Virginia.)
The years 1979-1981 are best written by Michael himself in his book It's Time To Be Bold. From chapter 1, we read:
While playing keyboards for the group Higher Ground, I signed my first songwriting contract with Paragon/Benson Publishing Company. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I was knocking down $200 a week to do something that I loved. Writing songs for a living meant that I didn't have to wait tables anymore, or work at Coca-Cola, or plant shrubs with a landscaping company.
I thought my life had peaked and God didn't have to do anything else for me. I wasn't looking for a record deal, a higher salary, or even a girlfriend - and especially not a wife. Writing music, I was as content as I'd ever been, and I labored at it sixteen hours a day. Then one afternoon while I was working in my office, Deborah Kay Davis walked by.

I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. When she passed by, it was all over for me. I was blown away. Totally head over heels in love. I frantically picked up the phone and called my mother in West Virginia.

"Mom, I can't believe it. You're not going to believe this, Mom. I just saw the girl I'm going to marry."
"What's her name?"

"I don't know, Mom. I haven't met her yet. But I gotta go. I'll find out and call you back."
My poor mother! She must have thought I'd lost my mind. But I'd never been so clearheaded in my life.
I left my office and went searching for this girl in the warehouse. Sherlock Holmes couldn't have done a better job of tracking her down, and eventually I found myself standing outside the ladies' restroom, waiting for her to emerge. She walked out. I introduced myself. We were engaged three and a half weeks later - and married four months after that!


In 1982, Michael was asked to play keyboards in a band that was backing up young artist Amy Grant. He also continued to write songs for himself.
The story goes that Amy's managers, Mike Blanton and Dan Harrell could not find a Christian record label that would sign Michael or a young New Yorker named Kathy Troccoli. Believing so much in these two young talents, they started Reunion Records.

Michael made his very first record in 1983 and it was called "Michael W. Smith Project." Michael wrote all the music and wife Debbie wrote the lyrics. The now famous song "Friends" debuted on this album. Michael continued to tour with Amy, now as her opening act.

Well, everyone else is asleep.  So I guess I'll get there too.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs,

2 comments:

Stampin' Mom of Four said...

Wishing you success at your Open House! Stay cool!

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

Your cards are so lovely and pretty, Sue! I, too, like to use crystal effects on my flowers sometimes just for that extra touch of depth to the color of them. Plus, they're just so shiny! :-)

Best wishes with your open house!

The Simple Woman's Daybook for August 2, 2024

 The Simple Woman's Daybook for August 2, 2024 Looking out my window it's dark and starting to cool off. It has been muggy and rainy...