Saturday, February 3, 2024

Technique Week and No, No, No, No

 This week has been full of card making fun. The week after I teach classes is always full of finding new ideas for class cards. I love learning new techniques as well.

This technique is called Black Out Embossing. I found it here on Splitcoaststampers.  Basically what you do is used a 3D embossing folder then color the debossed side with any type of media you like. I used ink with my blending brushes.  Then take a black ink pad and drag it lightly over your image. It will color the area around the colored images. The colored images are sunk in. I didn't have a very good black ink pad, so this isn't as dark as it should be.  Nevertheless, it's an easy and WOW technique.

The next technique began with coloring white cardstock with 3-4 colors of your choice. I chose lighter colors like pastels.  Next cut your panel to 3 3/4" x 5" and randomly stamp full strength, then stamp again and again without reinking. The stamp set I used was, Gorgeously Made.  Add a piece of colored cardstock 4" x 5 1/4" behind the stamped panel. Add this to a white card base. I used small sentiments so I didn't take away from the background of each card.

 

This card was made to show my customers in classes how to use two stamp sets to make a play on words using the Bee My Valentine words and birthday from Inked and Tiled. It's also an alternative for class if they don't want to make a Valentine card. I stamped Happy and cut around Hap. I stamped bee and cut around it. I stamped birthday from Inked and Tiled and cut around that. This was also made to show customers how easy it is to make your own wobbles from wire to make the bee move. I used a 4 1/4" x 11" piece of thick white cardstock. I cut a piece of Bee Mine designer series paper to 4" x 4". I cut this piece at 1 1/4" so you have a 1 1/4" x 4" and a 2 3/4" x 4" piece of designer series paper. The bee was stamped with crushed curry, Petal pink and memento tuxedo black inks. The honeycomb is daffodil delight ink. The wings of the bee have wink of stella applied.


The color challenge on Splitcoaststampers was to use Tahitian Tide, Lemon Lolly and Polished Pink. Dessert was to add something that began with 'B'. I made a Birthday card, with a Bird, who is holding a Bunch of Balloons as he skates by a Birthday cake.

I started with the background and used blending brushes to add bits of color all over. I stamped off to add the confetti in the three colors.

I stamped and fussy cut all of the images. The sentiment, cake and bird are all added with dimensionals.

This set of cards was using vellum with an embossing folder. I used two different embossing folders. Make sure to use a thicker vellum like Stampin' Up, so the vellum doesn't tear or rip.
I used designer series paper on top of and under the vellum. The designer series paper is Softly Stippled. The flowers are from, Sending Smiles. I finished off the cards with a different ribbon treatment.


A way to use designer paper that is black and white is to color the images with ink. Here I used ink on the lid of my ink pad with Wink of Stella. This makes a beautiful background for a card. It will curl a bit after colored, so you will have to flatten it under a block or run it through your embossing machine.

I watched my granddaughter two days instead of one day this week. Guess what her favorite word is right now?  No.....Yup, she's almost 2 and that's what she says. I tell her we're going to change her diaper and she says, "no, no, no, no."  It's time for lunch, let's get in your chair....no, no, no, no.
If I hit upon something she wants to do she says, "Okay!"
  I have to say I've been retired for 10 years but I'm using some of my behavior skills with her. Today she helped me set the timer on my phone for 2 minutes. When the timer went off, it was time for nap.
She heard the alarm, turned it off and went to Tim, so he could carry her upstairs.
Maybe it worked because it was something new, and it won't work next time. I do know that she seems to be easier to handle when given information ahead of time. It makes the transitions easier.

I had a great time watching her play with two spoons and a big bowl of water on her high chair  tray. She also had two plastic food items that floated. She played for at least 30 minutes and I got a hot cup of coffee in one place.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you've enjoyed your time here.
Blessings,
Bensarmom




No comments:

Pocket Front Card

 This was today's challenge on Splitcoaststampers, Ways To Use It Challenge. Sabrina challenged us to make pockets.  I used the tutorial...