Saturday, December 15, 2007

Birthday Traditions

So, Thursday was my birthday and because I have a twin, it was her birthday too. She lives in Wisconsin and I'm in Ohio. We get to see each other once or twice a year. She has a birthday tradition that she's been doing for so long I can't remember when it started: She calls me early in the morning on our day and sings Happy Birthday then we chat for a few minutes about our planned celebration of our day. Then we each go off to work with a smile on our face.
Just recently she started to send a sweater to me. We both wear the matching sweaters on our birthday so we feel closer to the other. This year she sent me a beautiful crystal bracelet with December birthstone colors in it. I wear it daily to remind me of her. Isn't it fun to see how she made a fish from the beads? I just love this bracelet!
My family and I celebrate birthdays from December -February. By the time we got to the Feb. birthday we were tired of cake and ice cream. So a few years ago, we asked the kids if they wanted to choose their birthday treat. That way we'd have a variety of treats for celebrations instead of cake/ice cream. It's a fun tradition but not as fun to take a child to the frozen treats section of the grocery store to choose from 599 different kinds of treats. I think I age another 10 years waiting and watching that child look at everything before making a choice. Even then, they go back to make sure they haven't missed something! LOL
My birthday is Dec. 13th, DD is Dec 30, DH is Jan 3, DS is Feb. 16th. So you can see why we did what we did!
What are some of your family birthday traditions?

1 comment:

Sharon in NE said...

The bracelet is beautiful! Your twin is very fortunate to have you for a sister. Guess the party decorations don't come down in your house. I'm glad ours is spread out. I feel gourged with all of the holiday eating. I think adding birthdays to it would do me in.

Pocket Front Card

 This was today's challenge on Splitcoaststampers, Ways To Use It Challenge. Sabrina challenged us to make pockets.  I used the tutorial...